August 28, 2014
With back to school only a week away, we’re all feeling that the new year really starts now. After a summer of haphazard making, we’ve been thinking ahead to a fall of knitting and sewing and crochet, which makes this a great time to go through tools and notions to see what we need — and what we need to replace. If you dread cutting the fabric for a new project, this is probably a sign that you could use a new pair of sharp shears or cutting wheel; likewise, if you avoid patterns with lots of repeats because you’re down to just a couple of stitch markers, this is a great time to replenish that supply. With that in mind, here are the tools and notions you’ll want to have on hand before the fall rush begins.
1. Stitch markers: Whether you like solid rings, these Clover locking markers, or something a little fancier, we have a wide selection of stytles and colours.
2. German Embroidery Hoops: Perfect for embroidery (of course), these hoops are also great for hand-quilting small areas at time, and make for pretty frames if you want to display a piece of fabric (see this Liberty of London wall for inspiration, and check out our Liberty prints for ideas.)
3. Clover Wonder Clips: Like pins, but without the risk of leaving holes in your fabric! Wonder Clips are a revelation, and perfect for securing fabric as you try on a muslin, securing binding to an armhole or around a quilt, and just about anything other time when you need to secure two (or more!) pieces of fabric.
4. Clover Adjustable Thimble: This open-backed thimble is comfortable to wear and easily adjustable for a comfortable fit. Whether you do a lot a hand-sewing or just need to protect your finger from the sharp point of a knitting needle, this is a great addition to your notions pouch.
5. Clover Pom Pom Makers: Fall is around the corner, and you know what that means: everyone you know is going to need a hat. Pom poms made a big comeback last year and the trend doesn’t seem to be abating.
6. Creative Notions Ladybug Cutter Set: Sometimes you just need to treat yourself to something cute. This set, which includes a thread cutter for your sewing machine, embroidery scissors, and sharp tweezers, is a fun way to refresh your sewing space without overhauling it.
7. Hook and Needle Gauge: We have a few different styles of hook and needle gauges in the shop, but if you’re looking for an all-around tool, this one is great. Not only does it measure the gauge of your knitting needles and crochet hooks, but it has a 5-inch/12 cm ruler marked down its sides — exactly what you need for measuring stitch and row gauge. Who doesn’t love a good multi-use tool?
8. Gingher Scissors: It’s amazing what a difference good scissors makes. Being able to effortlessly (and precisely!) cut your fabric or yarn makes the whole experience more pleasant, and these Gingher Epaulette Embroidery Scissors and Knife Edge Tailor Shears are beautiful to work with.
More Notions and Tools: Setting up your sewing kit
Follow EweKnit on Instagram for your daily dose of yarn & fabric joy